South Cambridgeshire Logo
My South Cambs:
Sign in or register
6242613 Coins Debt Income Loan Money Icon

Fuel, energy and utilities

On this page you can find help with: 

Please note that when we signpost or refer to external organisations for services this is not an endorsement or a recommendation of an external organisation or private individual by South Cambridgeshire District Council. We encourage residents to carry out their own research to compare different service providers to best meet their needs.

Help with energy and water bills 

If you’re struggling to pay your energy bills or can't afford to heat your home, contact the Local Energy Advice Partnership (LEAP).

Email address: 
Phone number: 0800 060 7567

LEAP also gives free help with:

  • comparing different energy tariffs
  • installing energy saving measures (like LED lightbulbs and radiator reflector panels)
  • referrals to more complex energy saving measures.

For help with bills if you’re in need, you can apply to the household support fund for an award of £110. You must fit the eligibility criteria listed on Cambridgeshire County Council’s website.

Apply for the Household Support Fund

Water bills

Cheaper tariffs and flexible payment plans are available for water. For more information contact Anglian Water extra care support.

Discounted tariffs for those on a low-income are available through Cambridge Water. For more information visit their website.

See if you would save money by having a water meter installed by using the CCW water calculator

Data and phone bills

You could switch to a social tariff if you’re struggling to afford your broadband or phone bills. Check the Ofcom website for more information.

Free data through Libraries' National Databank for low-income households aged 18 and above is available. In South Cambridgeshire, you can only get this offer at Cambourne Library and Bar Hill Library.

The free data (via a SIM card or data voucher) is for anyone over the age of 18 from a low-income household. You’ll need to self-declare as eligible, and the free data is available for up to 12 months.

Cold weather payment

You may get cold weather payments if you’re getting a government benefit. For more information, and to check if you are eligible, please visit the government website.


Energy supplier grants

Some energy suppliers have their own funds to help people in need. In some cases these funds are open to all, not just their own customers.

We would advise going through a local Citizens Advice Bureau for these grants, as a financial statement prepared by a Debt Advisor is needed as evidence of seeking debt advice.

You can find out more about some of these grants below:

Stay well heating grants

The stay well heating grants application process opens and closes based on when funds become available. You will need to be referred by us or another organisation. 

Please read the eligibility criteria before completing our referral form below:

Apply for a financial support referral

Home improvements to save energy in your home

Read the booklet below for the latest advice. It includes details on available funding for Cambridgeshire residents.

Home energy efficiency improvement and renewable energy upgrades booklet

The government also offers a boiler upgrade grant scheme.

Cambridgeshire Home Improvement Agency

  • Offers support to older and disabled residents to reduce their fuel costs by installing boilers

  • give grants for a wide range of home improvements for people on a low income

  • if you’re not eligible for a grant, they charge a small fee for people who struggle to organise this work themselves.

For more information, please visit their website.

Additional services

Contact Details